Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thoughts on a cancer diagnosis (not grim)

So.

I'm looking at a catalog that has these little dolls that are to help you explain what chemotherapy will do to mommy's hair. First it has long, flowing locks, then short, ragged hair, then bald.

The short ragged hair looks like mine now! Huhn. Guess we don't need that doll, eh?

Also, I read about letting your kid cut off your hair pre-chemo. This would probably be the highlight of my kid's life, getting to REALLY "do" mama's hair. In fact, I'm thinking about letting her dye it purple, first. But I am a tad concerned about going to chemo with a purple scalp the first few times. Meh. I'll be bald, anyway. What do I care?

Hey, here's another thought. Since I'll be bald as a cue ball, couldn't I get some temporary tattoos? Like maybe one for my beloved STL Cardinals during the baseball season, perhaps? 62 days, 3 hrs, 30 mins until the home opener, by the way. In case you, too, were counting.

I mean, hell. I'll probably end up wearing a wig part of the time. Why not have some fun when I'm not? Lord knows there's enough stuff about cancer that isn't fun. I certainly plan to exploit any fun I can get.

5 comments:

vonnebarnett said...

My older daughter Emily had Wilm's tumor when she was 2 years old. We spent a lot of time selecting hats and a terrific wardrobe so that she would look great all the time. It might be worthwhile to paint or create interesting hats for both of you to wear. Vonne Barnett

Tisra said...

Stacey,

You have my prayers for a miraculous, speedy, blow-the-doctors-minds recovery and triumph over this nasty horrible disease. I lost my mom eight years ago to breast cancer and I am so thankful that there are more aware doctors now, that there are better medicines now, and that there are better survival statistics now- you will benefit! I'm sure between having a great outlook (as you seem to have right now!), there is grief- probably heaps- and I hope that your family and friends are there to help when you need it, and understanding when you want space. You will beat this!

Tisra
adopting from Taiwan
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

Laurzie said...

I heard about your news from Rebecca and will be PRAYING for a full recovery! I love your attitude! :) One of my friends had a head-shaving party before she started chemo and because she was going to wear a wig most of the time anyway, she asked all of us write her a love note or prayer or encouragement in permanent ink on her head! It is one of the sweetest memories of my life. I think your ideas for keeping it light and fun are fantastic. Blessings!
Laurie

Yvonne Crawford said...

You're in my prayers.

yvonne

Rebecca Lily said...

Stace, I like the tattoo idea... :)

You are inspiring!!

Hugs,
Rebecca