Monday, December 17, 2007

Frankenberry



This weekend, my husband and I made marshmallows.

Prior to this time, my husband was firmly convinced that marshmallows came from marshmallow trees (probably hand-picked by the stay puft marshmallow man). But we saw a Good Eats episode about making them, and decided to give it a whirl, being a marshmallow kind of household. (S'mores are the last, best expression of the triumph of human ingenuity as far as we're concerned...)

They were pretty good. Not quite sweet enough for those of us raised on the stay puft stuff, but good. So I decided to make rice crispy treats with a little cherry flavoring and a touch of red dye-- making them pink.

And what do you think it tasted like? Yep. You got it. It tasted EXACTLY like Frankenberry! (thanks to Wikipedia for the image) Not that there is anything whatsoever wrong with Frankenberry, which, since it contains marshmallows, may also have to be considered a triumph of human, etc. etc. However it certainly was a long way around the horn when I could've just bought a box of cereal.

2 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

So I'm curious... how DO you make marshmallows?? I thought since the bag says jet-puffed you needed some kind of air jet. Haha. :)

R

R... said...

I've often considered making marshmallows myself (I can eat an entire bag of the darn things!), but feared the process. I've also had less than ideal impressions of the fancy "gourmet" marshmallows they sell at the fancy little food places here. I prefer the el-cheapo ones! So, is it worth it? How tough was it? Would you do it again?? Inquiring marshmallow lovers want to know!